My Website

Sunday 30 January 2011

Victorian Factoids update

This may not be specifically a factoid question, but it seems to me to be worth drawing attention to the problems with trying to compile statistics on such matters as the prevalence of sexually transmitted diseases and numbers of prostitutes in Victorian Britain, so I have added some comments about this to the page on my website.

The most recent update to that (some months ago) was to elaborate on the causes for scepticism about the claims for Victorian doctors masturbating women as a treatment for hysteria and the introduction of the vibrator for this purpose.

I'm not routinely posting here my minor updates every week or fortnight just to ensure that lists of conferences and other forthcoming events in history of sexuality, women's history, and matters Victorian are current and as up to date as I can make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment